Going back a little in time…here’s some sage advice from us as new parents when our babies arrived in 2004 and 2006.
Arianna Elizabeth Cimbura made her appearance at 2:30 pm on Sunday, April 25, 2004. She weighed in at 7 pounds and 19.5 inches. Brenda’sbirth plans were this: “Give me lots of medication. I don’t want to feel it.” Well, the baby came so fast that she delivered naturally and without any pain medication at all. So much for plans. We thought we’d call her Arianna unless she objected…and she didn’t. She seems to answer to it well. At least at this stage.
Brielle Madeleine Cimbura made her appearance at 2:50 am on Wednesday, May 3, 2006. She weighed in at 5 pounds 11 oz and 20.5 inches.
They were truly the most beautiful babies in the world. (That’s her daddy speaking.)
Baby Care Tips
I’ve put together some baby care tips gleaned from our experience:
- If you desire a sick baby, have mommy eat some hot and spicy BBQ chicken wings before breastfeeding. You’ll see milk flying for days.
- Tim’s Simple Swaddling Technique I found an easier way before going crazy as she “escaped” like Houdini from the other swaddles.
- Teaching your child a foreign language: Take the opportunity to play DVDs with the alternate language enabled with English subtitles.
Indispensable items I thought I’d never need:
- Happiest Baby on the Block DVD shows awesome techniques for calming a child using their built-in reflexes. It’s as close to hypnotizing a kid as you can get. The five S’s work perfectly to calm her as long as she’s not needing to burp, eat (get milk), or poop (change diaper).
- Swaddle – Tightly so arms can’t move
- Side – Roll over on side, football hold
- Shuush – Louder than crying in ear
- Jiggle – Gently rock like Jello
- Suck – Pacifier
- Baby swing will keep her rested or help put her to sleep. It’s amazing that little ones find the turning mobile so fascinating.
- Boppy Pillow makes it a lot easier to prop her up for photos or hold her for bottle feedings.
- Schwinn Bike Trailer allows you to go on bike rides or use as an excellent jogging stroller. We put her in there easily with her car seat and took our first bike ride on 6/23/04. Well designed and manufactured at a lower cost than a Burley.
- Graco Stroller System is lightweight and well designed. Get two car bases.